You’ve probably heard the expression “all sports have equal odds of winning,” and while this is true in theory, it can be difficult to actually profit from sports betting in practice. The key to profitable sports betting is understanding the differences in the odds of each sport and knowing how to use this to your advantage. The following are some of the ways you can get an edge in sports betting:
Study The Sport You’re Interested In
To begin with, to get rich from sports betting, you’ll need to focus on understanding the odds of each sport. It’s crucial to do your research before placing any bets because some sports have clearly defined points scores that you need to know about, while other sports don’t follow that system at all. For instance, comparing football to ice hockey shouldn’t be hard; the former is more popular and has higher odds of winning. However, if you’re not sure, simply check the point totals for all the other sports on the board and choose the one with the highest number.
Check Out The Best Bookmakers For Your Betting Style
Most people think that all sportsbooks are created equal, and while this is true to a large extent, there are actually many bookmakers out there who specialize in certain betting styles. If you’re someone who likes to bet on multiple sports or on the annual World Series of Poker, then Boyd’s Bets is a great choice because they specialize in quick bets, such as those placed on the World Series. On the other hand, if you’re looking to enter into long-term bets with your bankroll, then you should probably head over to one of the largest sportsbooks out there, such as Bovada or BetOnline, who have a much larger database and can offer better odds in long-term bets.
Use The Odds To Your Advantage
Once you have your sports betting site set up with the best bookmaker for your particular needs and budget, the next step is to use the odds to your advantage. You should always consider the spread between the odds, as this is the amount of money you could potentially win or lose on any given play. The advantage of an even spread is that it ensures you don’t lose money, as long as the majority of the games go according to plan. Plus, you’re less nervous about making a play because the outcome is essentially the same regardless of what happens. This is why you should always look for games with even spreads whenever possible, as it makes for much less stressful betting.
Make Sure You Follow All The Rules And Regulations
Another important thing to do before placing any bets is to make sure you’re following all the rules and regulations set by your country of residence and the sports authority overseeing the sport. In most places, sports betting is illegal and heavily regulated, so it’s important to know the right way to bet and what limits you’re allowed to set. The following are some of the most common rules and regulations surrounding sports betting:
- Payout limits on each individual wager (usually between $2 and $5, depending on the amount of the bet)
- Odds must be posted prominently, in plain view of players and fans
- Bets can’t be placed on sporting events that aren’t yet in progress
- Fixed odds betting is allowed
- Unauthorized advertising is prohibited
- Games must be approved by the sports authority
- All sports have to offer equal odds
It’s also important to know when and where you can bet on sports. In most places, you need to be at least 18 years old to legally bet on sports other than American Football, but all countries are different, so check with the local authorities to make sure.
Know The Different Types Of Wagering
In addition to following all the rules and regulations, you should also be aware of the different types of wagering that are available. There are four main types of wagering:
- Match betting where you try to predict the winner of an upcoming game. This is the most popular type of wagering because it’s easy to enter and has the potential to earn you significant amounts of money. Just remember, the majority of match betting scams involve phony websites or online marketers who fleeced unsuspecting players out of millions of dollars by convincing them to wager on fake games. In most cases, the players who fall for these scams lose their entire life savings. Don’t be fooled by fake promos from unknown sources; all sportsbooks require players to register with their social security number, and most online sportsbooks require players to verify their identity with a credit card.
- Counting bets where you pick the total number of points that will be scored in an upcoming game. This type of wagering tends to be more profitable than match betting because you’re not trying to predict the winner of an individual game but rather, the outcome of the entire game. You’re essentially “grading” the game based on the number of points that are scored. This type of betting requires a lot of study because point spreads can vary from game to game and are usually changed at the beginning of each quarter. Counting bets are also referred to as “parlays” because they involve combining multiple games into one big wager. For instance, if you want to make a $1000 bet on the Super Bowl, you could mix $100 bets on each of the four quarters. This is why counting bets are best suited for high rollers who want to make large wagers on a variety of sports.
- Proposition bets where you choose which team will win an upcoming game based on the outcome of various statistical categories. For example, will the Golden State Warriors win more games this year than the Los Angeles Lakers? Will the New England Patriots win more games this season than the New York Giants? These are just some of the many proposition bets you could place, but you have to remember to learn the rules and regulations before getting started. Generally, if you want to use propositions to win money, you’ll need to do this on a site whose employees are certified to handle such wagers. Since most of the profit from a certified sportsbook comes from handling high-quality bets, you can be sure that your money is safe and that you’re not being cheated.
- Accumulator betting where you bet on the outcome of multiple games at once. This type of wagering allows you to make high-quality bets without having to concern yourself with whether or not you’ll be able to pay off your debt if you lose. Basically, you add all the games you want to bet on into one big wager and then follow the rules of accumulator betting to make the right choice. For example, if you want to make a $1000 bet on the New York Yankees and the Oakland Athletics to win the World Series, you could do this with an online sportsbook. When the Athletics win, you’ll win your bet. However, if the Yankees win, you’ll lose your $1000 plus $400, as the sportsbook took a $400 credit for the already-completed World Series contest.
Knowing how to get an edge in sports betting is a lot easier than you think. The key is to do your research, find the best sports betting site for your needs, and follow all the rules and regulations. Then, you’re ready to place bets and start making money!