Most fans living in the United States are either very skilled at sports betting or know exactly what they are looking for when it comes to Las Vegas NFL betting odds. The reason behind this is simply because of the sheer volume of sports books housed inside the city gates. It would be virtually impossible for a novice baseball, football, or other sports fan to know where to start when it comes to making wagers in the city of Las Vegas.
With this in mind, we have decided to teach our readers some common sense guidelines when it comes to reading Las Vegas NFL betting lines. Keep reading for further information on how to become an informed fan of NFL football once you understand the basics.
When you are first learning how to understand Las Vegas football betting lines, it is recommended you do so by going broad rather than deep. By this, we mean you should look at bets from all over the country. Doing this ensures you get a nice geographic spread of teams and odds, which makes the wagering experience more exciting. Deep parlays (bets placed on multiple games) are also popular in Las Vegas because they offer big payouts and juicy odds. But if you want to be able to place a successful wager in Las Vegas, you should look to place your bets on as many teams as possible.
Look For Trends
One of the best things about NFL betting in Las Vegas is the fact it is very easy to make money off bets placed on teams that are currently in a slump. The same goes for teams that are hot at the moment and are likely to keep the momentum going. These are the things you should keep in mind when placing bets in Las Vegas.
NFL teams are not always easy to follow because of occasional turn-backs and controversies. However, with a little bit of research, you should be able to figure out which teams are trending in which direction and whether they are likely to keep the momentum going. For example, the Los Angeles Rams are currently one of the hottest teams in the NFL and are almost certainly going to keep this up for the rest of the season. You can get great value by betting on them, but you will need to place a large wager in order to do so. This is because NFL odds are heavily in their favor at the moment. The same can be said for the Tennessee Titans and the Carolina Panthers as well. These are all teams you may want to consider wagering on in the upcoming weeks.
On the other side of the coin, if you are a fan of the Dallas Cowboys and have them as your team for the season, it is probably a good idea to lay off them for the rest of the season. They are not going to be an easy team to beat and you will need to concentrate on taking care of business on the field before making any kind of wager on them. Similarly, if you are a Redskins fan and have them as your team for the season, it may not be the best idea to lay off them either because they are going to be difficult to beat, especially with the way their defensive line is performing at the moment.
Check The Odds
Many football fans assume that the odds in Las Vegas are always in their favor. This is not always the case though, especially when it comes to picking against the spread. These are the things you need to keep in mind when checking the odds in Las Vegas:
- The oddsmaker is the one providing the lines and will often eat the initial credit of any winning bet. This means the house always takes a hit unless you get your money back from the bookmaker within 30 days.
- Don’t be fooled by large differences in the betting odds between different sports books. Remember, the lines are always the same whenever there is competition between different sports books. So, if one book has the Rams as 7.5-1 odds and another has them as 7-1 odds, you are looking at a difference of just 0.5 points. This is not a huge discrepancy, but it’s something to keep in mind.
- As long as you keep winning, you are going to be able to make a lot of money in Las Vegas. But you have to be careful not to overextend yourself and place too many big bets. Going all in too often can hurt your bankroll.
- When picking against the spread in the NFL, usually, the team you are rooting for will win by a slim margin. This is because teams in the NFL are usually not that good and their performances are highly dependent on the weather conditions and whether or not their stars shine (i.e. do they have good days and bad days?). You can expect to see a lot of close games in the NFL, at least at first glance.
- The opposite is true for college football, where you are more likely to see blowout victories than close games. This is also something you need to keep in mind when betting on sports in Las Vegas.
Follow The Money
Just about every major sports book operator has a section on their websites where they list the top NFL betting plays for the day. These are the teams and the games they are being paid to predict will win. If you are looking for a free sports book to place your bets on, these are the places you should look. Just remember, the operator may have to beat the bankroll of each individual buyer of a winning ticket. So, if you want to place a wager on the Cardinals or the 49ers, be prepared to lose some money.
Keep Everything In Perspective
Odds are one thing, but they can be hard to understand when you are just starting out. This is why it is advised you compare them to something you know or can easily understand. This may mean comparing the odds of a college football team to those of an NFL team, or comparing the odds of a certain player on one team to those of another team. Consider everything you read in the context of what you know and can easily understand and you are sure to form a better opinion of sports betting in general.