The biggest sporting event of the year is just around the corner!
Hundreds of thousands of fans will flock to New York City to watch the NFL’s title game this weekend. While the games may be great entertainment, they can also present profitable opportunities for savvy bettors.
Sportsbooks have opened up with better than expected betting lines this year, with some offering incredible value. Unfortunately, many sportsbooks are now requiring players to have a gambling problem to place bets, forcing them into the black markets for their wagers. The industry has worked hard to regulate the game, but online gambling is still widely available through unofficial channels, such as websites and mobile apps. For the most part, international and out-of-state players can still enjoy sports betting in the US.
Despite the many restrictions placed on them by the sportsbooks, smart bettors can still find value in the odds for this year’s Super Bowl.
Here’s a roundup of the top betting odds for the Super Bowl, along with what the odds might mean.
Best Bookmakers To Use For The Super Bowl
The Super Bowl is typically one of the most popular sporting events of the year. It’s the annual showcase of America’s top football teams where fans can witness some of the sport’s most exciting plays. This year’s Super Bowl will be played between the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Rams. It is widely expected to be close, with the lines fluctuating significantly.
With any sporting event, the best place to bet is probably at a reputable bookmaker. However, this year’s Super Bowl presents a bit of a challenge, as there are so many different types of bookmakers that offer odds on the game. To help you navigate this minefield and find the best possible lines, let’s take a quick look at some of the top contenders.
- Bovada ((33) > (10); 6.0 > 4.0) – Bovada is the largest and one of the most reputable sportsbooks in the world. They’ve gotten very good at adjusting their lines based on public demand. While they don’t offer the best odds, they do give you the confidence to make a confident guess.
- BetOnline ((33) > (10); 6.0 > 4.0) – Similar to Bovada, BetOnline is one of the larger sportsbooks, offering betting lines on a variety of sporting events, including the Super Bowl. In addition to offering good odds, the bookmaker also prides itself on providing high levels of customer service. If you’re looking for an online betting site, BetOnline is the best option.
- Intertops ((38) > (12); 6.5 > 4.5) – Similar to the other two sites mentioned thus far, Intertops also offers betting lines on a wide range of sporting events, including the Super Bowl. The site is owned and operated by 888, Inc., a global company with significant experience in the gaming industry. Due to the size of Intertops’ operations, it is generally considered one of the safest places for sports betting.
- Pinnacle ((38) > (12); 6.5 > 4.5) – Another large and reputable sportsbook, Pinnacle is also one of the best places to find odds on the Super Bowl. The site specialises in offering value-orientated betting lines, with their top rates for soccer and sports events like the Super Bowl making them a popular choice for individuals looking for value-oriented online betting.
- Bookmaker.com ((33) > (10); 6 (20)) – Bookmaker.com is a popular choice amongst American sports bettors, operating out of both Nevada and New Hampshire, where sports betting is legal. The site offers a welcome bonus and lots of value-oriented betting lines for the Super Bowl. Additionally, the site is relatively easy to use, offering a safe and convenient place for sports fans to place their bets.
What Are The Overall Trends In Odds?
This year’s Super Bowl is shaping up to be one of the most intriguing matchups ever. The lines are moving rapidly, with the Rams currently favoured by 6.0 at most reputable bookmakers. It’s fair to say that most people have not been paying much attention to the game, with interest levels more focused on the US presidential election. That being said, once the Super Bowl is over, it’ll be all anyone can talk about.
It’s tough to gauge overall trends in odds due to the constantly changing nature of the betting markets. However, there are a few trends that can be identified.
- The Rams are consistently becoming more favoured, with the overall trend across the industry pointing towards them being the 2.5- to 4.5-point home favourites.
- The Patriots are the clear underdogs in this year’s Super Bowl, with the most popular betting markets having them as between 4.0 and 5.5 points underdogs.
- The total number of bets on the game is on the decrease, with fewer people interested in wagering on a traditionally low-scoring game. It seems that the trend towards lower wager limits and the proliferation of smartphone applications has led to fewer individuals placing wagers on this year’s Super Bowl.
What Are The Popular Opinions About This Year’s Game?
It’s always interesting to get an insight into public opinion, especially when a match up between two such historic rivals is on the cards. Since the NFL’s inception, the Super Bowl has always attracted a massive amount of interest and attention, due in large part to the iconic nature of the game and the large number of star players that have graced the pitch. It’s also one of the few sporting events that is actually decided by gambling, adding an extra edge of excitement to the proceedings.
All of that said, the interest and excitement surrounding this year’s Super Bowl is surprisingly low. Most pundits are expecting a close game, with the lines moving rapidly in favour of one team or the other. There is also a distinct lack of interest in wagering on the game, with fewer people interested in putting money on a game that is expected to be low-scoring. This is certainly a far cry from the typical hyper-interest that surrounds the Super Bowl. Most oddsmakers believe that this is a once-in-a-generation type of opportunity for either team to lay claim to a title, while others foresee this as a classic, low-scoring affair.
It is probably a combination of both factors. While the generation of fans that grew up alongside the NFL will be among the first to tune in and watch the action unfold, many younger fans will not know or care much about the history of the game. That being said, as long as the gameplay is entertaining and the betting markets are open, they probably won’t bother too much.
How Will The Host City Affect The Game?
The host city of the Super Bowl has always had a massive impact on the outcome of the game. In fact, only two teams have ever lost a Super Bowl after being favoured by more than 3.5 points, with the Patriots and the Raiders both experiencing such disappointments. As a result, the consensus among bookmakers is that the favourite will nearly always cover the spread.
While it is still relatively early in the process, the Rams are clearly the overwhelming favourites to claim the trophy this year. They opened up as 2.5-point underdogs against the Patriots, and now they are as high as 4.5-point faves. Similar to the trend observed in the odds for the game, this heavily favours the Rams and it will be interesting to see how far the line moves in their direction once the game gets under way.