Most people are familiar with the traditional method of betting where you place a wager on the outcome of an event and wait until the event takes place before you try and win or lose money. While this is still one of the most popular types of wagering, there is another way to place a bet that has recently gained a lot of popularity and that is called a teaser bet. So what exactly is a teaser bet and how does it work? Let’s take a quick look at what is and what is not a teaser and how you can use teasers in your favor as well as against you when placing bets.
Is It Possible To Win Money With Teasers?
The short answer is yes, it is possible to win money with teasers. It is just like any other type of bet, except there is no actual gambling involved. The key components are:
- There has to be some kind of betting exchange or marketplace where you can place your bet. In the UK you can use a betting exchange called Betfair. In the US, you can use a sportsbook called FanDuel.
- You have to keep in mind that you are getting teasers and that there is no actual wagering until the end. The concept is that you are getting a taste of the sporting event or match, without risking any actual money. So if you are not willing to risk any money, then it is not a teaser bet. It is merely an information or educated guess that you are getting for free.
- You will often see teasers advertised alongside odds — these are the prices paid (or rewarded) by the betting exchange for taking a bet on a particular outcome. The advantage of this is that you can place your bets on various outcomes and sports without worrying about what the price might be. The disadvantage is that you do not know how profitable (or unprofitable) your particular bet is going to be until the end. So if you did not like the odds of a certain outcome, then it is not possible to back out of the wager with complete confidence. The bet is locked in at that point.
- You are constantly reminded that you are getting a “taste” of the event or match. So while it is possible to win money with teasers, you should not expect to win vast amounts or even a large sum of money. It is more of a way of testing out new sports and events, or trying out new betting strategies. Or just having some fun with friends.
When Do You Actually Start Gambling?
The moment you decide not to back out of a wager is known as “hitting the table” or “folding the hand” and it immediately leads to actual gambling. Most online casinos and betting exchanges have a “no rakeback” or “no withdrawal” policy, which means that they will not reimburse you for any money you might lose, nor will they give you any additional money, if you happen to win. This can be a bit off-putting if you are actually looking for a way to make money, but rest assured that most casinos are legally bound to do this. In the case of a tie or an exceptionally close contest, there will also be a provision to order a “hold�” position. In a hold position, the casino or betting exchange will temporarily halt the activity of one of the parties involved in the wager, usually the winner, in order to verify the accuracy of the result. This is how it works:
- You have to place your bet at one of the authorized online casinos or betting exchanges (more on this in a moment).
- Once the event or match has taken place, the results are in and you have won or lost, you will be asked to verify your account. At this point, you will be given the option of either cashing out your winnings or taking the other side of the wager, if you happened to lose. In some cases, the casino or betting exchange may take a few days to process your withdrawal. While in other cases it can take a couple of weeks. This is why it is generally a good idea to wait until the end of the day to try and withdraw your winnings, but in case you did not like the looks of the betting odds, you can always go back and change your mind.
- All of this sounds fairly straight-forward enough, but there is one major difference between placing a wager and taking a teaser. When you place a wager, you are committing to actually winning or losing the amount of money you are wagering on the event or match. With teasers, you are only committing to the outcome of the event or match and you are completely free to walk away at any point before the event takes place. This is key to understanding how teasers work and why you might want to use them in your favor. If you do not have faith in your ability to win or lose the amount you are wagering on, then why would you want to force the outcome when you can avoid it and move on to the next bet? It is all about risk management.
- This brings us to our next point. With regular wagers, it is important to understand that risk is inherent in the process. This is mainly because you have to place your bet at one of the authorized online casinos or betting exchanges and then follow the terms and conditions that they have set out for withdrawal. In the event of a tie, there is always the chance that the casino or betting exchange could “disappear” your earnings or give you an inadequate amount, if they happen to have a bad experience with previous customers. With teasers, you are taking on minimal risk since you are never actually risking any money. This is not to say that you are guaranteed to win, but there is much less chance that you will end up losing big money. This is mainly because you are only committing to the outcome of the event or match. In the case of a tie, there is also the possibility that the casino or betting exchange will order a hold position, which means that the activity of one of the parties will be halted for a short period of time, in order to verify the accuracy of the result. While this can be a pain, in most cases the hold will be very short and it will not take long to resolve. In the event of a tie, everyone will eventually return to “normal” activity and the wagering will continue until one party breaks the tie. Once this happens, the other party will be notified and the process will start all over again. Even if you do not end up winning, you will most likely still come away with a good feeling at the end of the day since it is always better to have placed a few small wagers than one big one. This is gambling and it is all about knowing how to control your impulses and have a good time, while also making money. If place the right bets and use the right tools, then it is possible to make a good living at it. Just remember to take your time and do your research, before getting involved in any type of gambling.