A lot of sports bettors are aware that the Delaware Gaming Commission has licensed two online casinos. One is called FanDuel and the other is DraftKings. What many people may not know, however, is that both of those firms operate under the auspices of the Delaware Offshore Gaming Association (‘DOGA’). That’s a rather unique arrangement, because the DF Sports Betting license requires the licensee to adhere to the guidelines and rules set forth by the state of Delaware.
The purpose of this article is to educate the general public on the inner workings of DF Sports Betting, in hopes of dispelling some of the mystery surrounding this unique product and its inception.
What Is DF Sports Betting?
As the name would suggest, the Delaware division of FanDuel (formerly known as DoubleDown) has set up shop in the state of Delaware, which creates a bit of a licensing conflict of interest. To overcome that challenge, the firm has established its own ‘virtual’ sportsbook. In other words, while FanDuel does operate two casinos in the state of Delaware, including one in New Castle, it has no direct or indirect participation in the wagering activity that occurs there.
This has two key benefits. The first is that FanDuel does not have to worry about meeting the minimum legal wagering requirements imposed by the state of Delaware. The second is that the company can operate separate from the casino and still have access to the best local talent.
What makes the Delaware Offshore Gaming Association (DOGA) so special is that it is a not-for-profit corporation which operates under a set of guidelines designed to protect the public interest. To learn more, interested parties can download a copy of the DOGA Code of Conduct, which sets forth the guidelines for doing business in the state of Delaware. Among other things, the code requires the members to operate under the legal jurisdiction of Delaware and prohibits them from committing any act which would bring the association into disrepute.
Why Is Delaware Doing This?
The state of Delaware has decided to regulate online gambling due to the explosion of the industry in recent years. It is not alone in this endeavor, as numerous other states have also passed legislation to license and regulate online sportsbooks and casinos. The purpose of these regulations is to safeguard the public from the potentially devastating effects which have befallen other states. Examples include the case of Sheldon Adelson, who pumped $150 million into the Nevada lobbying effort in 2017 alone, or the fact that the two California-based firms, which are currently licensed to operate in 20 other states, are worth a combined $16 billion.
Since most people would not want to risk losing their entire net worth, it is not hard to see why these regulations exist, even if they do limit the freedoms which some see as inherent in the internet age.
What Are The Major Rules And Regulations For DF Sports Betting?
As noted above, the license to do business as a DF Sports Betting operator is contingent upon the firm adhering to the guidelines and rules set forth by the state of Delaware. The regulations are extensive and, rather than bore the reader, it would be best to simply link to the list of the document’s 59 pages.
While it is beyond the scope of this article to cover every last detail of the DF Sports Betting licensing process, it is important to understand the major restrictions which this charter requires the licensee to abide by. Here is a summary of the major rules which the company must follow:
- The business must be conducted from a physical location in the state of Delaware, at least 51% of which is physically located in the state;
- The business must be registered with the state of Delaware as a corporation;
- The business must be a ‘fit and proper’ corporation in good standing with the state of Delaware;
- The business must have a physical address for service of process;
- The business must maintain a principal place of business in the state;
- The business must maintain records in the state for 4 years; and
- The business must comply with all state and local laws.
According to the state of Delaware, all of the above information must be made available to prospective investors through an easily accessible website. Before you invest in a business which operates outside the state of Delaware, you should thoroughly research the company and make sure that it is in good standing with the gaming commission.
How Is The Product Advertising Deemed Admissible?
The advertising of the product must comport with the guidelines and standards of the state of Delaware in all material respects. Among other things, this includes:
- The advertisement must not, directly or indirectly, compare the odds of winning between two (2) or more sportsbooks; and
- The advertisement must not, directly or indirectly, compare the odds of a sporting event between two (2) or more sportsbooks.
For instance, the following is considered inadmissible under the code of conduct:
- An advertisement which compares the odds of winning for the New York Jets vs. the Las Vegas Raiders;
- An advertisement which compares the odds of a Cleveland Browns win vs. an undefeated Cleveland Cavaliers team; and
- An advertisement which compares the odds of the Philadelphia Eagles vs. the San Francisco 49ers.
The purpose of this rule is to prevent the ‘promotion’ of gambling, which is against the law in all 50 states. In other words, you cannot simply compare odds or offer betting advice in the hopes of convincing someone to give you their money. In some cases, this has resulted in legal action being taken against the company. One notable example is Unibet, which placed an allegedly misleading advertisement in a Michigan newspaper, resulting in the United Kingdom firm being found in contempt of court and ordered to pay over $12 million in damages.
What Is The Process For Changing Your Gaming Account In DF Sports Betting?
The licensee must establish and maintain an accounting system which meets the requirements of the state of Delaware. In other words, the business must keep good books and records which are available for inspection by external parties, including the state. Here is how to change your account in DF Sports Betting:
- Log into your account;
- Click on ‘My Account’;
- Enter your email address and password;
- Click on ‘Forgot Password?’; and
- Enter your email address and click on ‘Send Password Reset Link.’ Email notifications are also sent to the address specified, letting you know that your password has been reset.
As always, thank you for reading! We hope this was an informative article. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].