If you’re reading this, I assume you’re looking for an introduction to game spread betting. If so, then I’m pleased to inform you that you’ve come to the right place. I’m going to cover everything from the basics of what this strange and exciting form of betting is, to how to get started with it and where you can access it. Hopefully, this article will give you all the information you need to know to give it a try and enjoy all the perks that playing with the big dogs in the industry has to offer.
What Is Game Spread Betting?
To cut to the chase, let’s get to the point. Game spread betting, or “games” for short, is when you place a wager on the winning team in a sporting event after the bet has been published, but before the game has been played. The bet has been officially called by both the bookmaker and the event organizers, and anyone participating in the bet knows what they’re doing and how it works. The concept is simple: bet on a winner before the game is played.
The practice has been around since the 17th century and has been officially recognized as a legal form of betting in the United Kingdom since 2018. While most bookmakers only offer in-play betting, where wagers can be placed on the outcomes of ongoing games, some shops also offer bets on matches that have already been played. These types of bets are called pre-game or post-game bets and they’re extremely popular because they allow gamblers to participate in multiple events on the same screen. It’s like doing co-bets!
History Of Game Spread Betting
The history of game spread betting is a bit murky, to say the least. Records show that some Englishmen were playing the game in the 17th century and it was even legal to do so. This was most likely due to the fact that most matches at the time were “gentlemen’s games” played for money. Since gambling was then considered a vice, but also a necessary evil in some cases, the English legal system at the time allowed for the practice of “wagering” on these types of games. Essentially, this is where the name “spread betting” comes from. Back then, bookmakers would take bets on the outcome of a game, but would not pay out on them until the game was over. This is why we often call the practice “lock[ing] the spread.”
Wagers were also commonly placed on the World Cup back in the day. At the time, most soccer matches were deemed to be “international” and thus, outside the scope of local authorities. This meant that most countries had to abide by the rules set by the Football Associations of England, Scotland, and Wales (or “FA” for short). One of the restrictions placed on World Cup wagers at the time was that they had to be placed before the game had started. The reasoning behind this was to prevent people from placing wagers on live sports events and having them pay off after the fact. The practice of taking bets on games that have already been played was later codified in the UK and other countries, such as Australia, Canada, and the United States. For example, in 2018 the Wyoming Lottery started accepting wagers on the Wyoming Cowboys college football team. The practice has been around for so long that even the major soccer websites have adopted the name “game spread betting” to refer to these types of bets. Let’s be honest, when you consider how popular this type of betting is, it’s probably time to get on board. Who knows, maybe one day your favorite team will be the pick to win the big game and you’ll want to be certain you’re going to get your money back.
Types Of Games
As we’ve established, game spread betting is when you place a wager on the winning team in a sporting event after the bet has been published, but before the game has been played. This is typically done online, but it can also be done via mobile phones or at physical bookmakers’ locations. There are six basic types of games that you’ll encounter when playing with this form of betting:
- Soccer – This is the most popular sport in the world and you’ll undoubtedly hear about it a lot on TV shows and publications. It’s also the sport that many people have heard of and it’s the most popular sport in the UK. The odds of betting on soccer in general are very high, but you have to be aware of which games are most popular and how the odds affect those games. One thing to be careful of is when to choose your wagers. Generally speaking, you should avoid making wagers on games that are less than 48 hours away.
- American Football – This is another popular game around the world, especially in the United States. It’s similar to soccer in some ways and it was actually introduced to the UK at the same time. It too has its own set of rules and customs that you’ll have to learn in order to place successful wagers on this exciting sport.
- Cricket – Cricket is a popular game in the UK and it’s been around for a while. It’s one of the sports that the English have been playing for a long time and it continues to be popular today. One of the interesting things about cricket is that even though it’s a winter sport, many matches are still played in the UK during the summer months. This means that there is more than one opportunity to place a bet on cricket during the year. Remember: the best time to place a bet is before the game starts, because once the game starts, the odds will change and it could be difficult to win.
- Handball – Handball is another sport that has been around for a long time and it continues to be popular today. It’s a sport that was actually played by the English during the early part of the 20th century. It was originally played on hard courts and it was later taken out on the grass. It’s not uncommon to see people wearing gloves while playing handball, so if you’re looking to place some bets on this exciting game, you might want to consider getting a pair of these gloves.
- Hockey – Hockey is another sport that is played both in Canada and in the UK. It’s a very fast-paced sport and when played professionally, the games can be quite intense. If you ever seen the film “Slapshot,” then you know exactly what type of game hockey is. It’s one of the sports that the Canadians are really proud of, considering it’s one of the only sports that they’ve won the Stanley Cup on. You’ll find a wide range of betting options when it comes to hockey, including full-tilt hockey, which is when you bet on the outcome of the game, regardless of which team is ahead at the time the wager is placed.
- Basketball – Basketball is the “American” sport that’s been around for a while and it continues to be popular today. It’s one of the sports that the Americans are really good at and it’s also the national sport of the country. The game itself is rather simple, but it can still be very difficult to place successful bets on basketball, due mainly to the fact that there are a lot of games each week and it might be difficult to keep track of which ones are which. Plus, there is the ever-present chance that your pick might not win.
When To Place A Bet On A Game
As I mentioned earlier, the best time to place a bet on a game is before the game starts. There are a few exceptions to this rule, mainly because the game is either being played right at the time of the bet, or it’s close to being played and the odds have already begun to change. For instance, if you’re watching the game on TV and you notice that one team is getting really outplayed, you might want to consider betting on them, because at this point, the odds will almost certainly be in their favor. It’s also a good idea to wait until near the end of the game to place your wagers. Just remember: the later the game, the more exciting it is. It’s almost like the night of the game, but with the added element of having already watched the game and made your wager!