The start of the National Football League (NFL) season is one of the most anticipated events of the year. But exactly when does it begin?
It’s actually a complicated question, and there are several factors that go into it. Therefore, let’s explore the many different starting dates for the NFL season and the most suitable one for your needs.
2020 NFL SEASON DATES: WHEN DOES THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE START?
The NFL season has changed dates this year to avoid conflicting with the Summer Olympics in Tokyo. The season will now begin on Thursday, September 18th and end on Sunday, December 23rd.
But if you’re a fan of the games, you can start watching any Thursday night football game right now. Just make sure you book your tickets in advance if you wish to attend one of the many sold out games this year.
NFL SEASON DATES: TIPS FOR FOOTBALL FANS
The NFL season is a busy time for fans, with several games on every weeknight. And it’s not just about the games – the whole season is filled with events that you might want to witness. Here’s some helpful information to make your experience more convenient and enjoyable.
- There’s always the option to watch games live, even if your team is on the road
- The NFL Network airs several games each week, which you can stream for free
- If you follow football – or any sport for that matter – you’ll definitely want to keep up with the news this year. The NFL offers several online portals that you can use to keep up with all the latest news stories
- If you have a fantasy football team, you’ll want to set your lineup and make your weekly roster moves confidently. Don’t worry, there’s lots of time to gear up for the season.
2019 NFL SEASON DATES: THE COMMON SPRING OLYMPICS
The NFL season started a few weeks ago, on March 26th, and will continue through the 2021 season. But there’s additional sports action happening during the same period. The 2019 Common Spring Games, for instance, will start on May 7th and last for ten days. The games will feature several sports, including football.
The World Cup is another major event that will overlap with the NFL season. The soccer tournament starts in June and will run through October. So if you’re looking for something to do this summer, you could attend a World Cup match.
2021 NFL SEASON DATES: WHEN DOES THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE START?
The 2021 NFL season will begin on Thursday, September 18th and end on Sunday, December 23rd. So we’re already into the heart of the season. But the answer to when does the NFL start isn’t quite as straightforward as you might think. Here are the details.
- Week 1 will kick off on Thursday, September 18th
- Weekend doubleheaders will be played this year, which means more games and more opportunities to attend. The first such game is Tennessee Titans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, which will be played on Saturday, September 20th. Another such game will take place on Sunday, September 21st between the Houston Texans and New England Patriots. These will be televised games, so make sure you’re watching them
- Week 9 will be the first week of the playoffs, so you’ll have to wait until then to see if your team made it there
- The Super Bowl will be held on Sunday, February 6th, 2022
As you can see, the NFL season is pretty hectic. There are several starting dates this year, which makes things even more complicated. If you’re looking for a way to make sure you don’t miss a game, you can find the ticket link for every NFL game right here.