For Michigan residents, 2019 was a year of change. The state legalised sports betting, opening the door to a world of opportunity for both legal and illegal sports bookmakers. However, the tide turned when the state’s top sports authority closed more than 100 illegal betting websites doing business in the state.
While many bookmakers have adjusted to the new regulations, those who have remained in operation have had to innovate ways to serve their customers in light of the government crackdown. One industry that has seen a boom in interest is online sports betting. Thanks to companies like Jackpotjoy, bettorbing, and many others, online bettors have a variety of legal betting opportunities to choose from, making the transition a lot more convenient.
When Is Online Sports Betting Legal In Michigan?
Thanks to a 2018 Supreme Court ruling, sports betting is legal in all 50 states. That means every state constitution, statute, or legal precedent that attempts to ban sports betting applies to the entire country. It also means bookmakers have to obey the law regardless of where they are located.
However, the legality of sports betting in any given state varies from country to country. Some of the more notable exceptions to the US-wide legality include:
- Alaska: The Last Frontier – sports betting is banned.
- Arizona: The Grand Tour – sports betting is banned.
- Delaware: The Constitution State – sports betting is banned, with the exception of horse and dog racing.
- Hawaii: Where the Tourists Go – sports betting is legal, but only for residents.
- New York: The Empire State – sports betting is legal, but only for residents.
- Northern Marianas Islands: Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands – sports betting is legal, but only for residents.
- Utah: the Beehive State – sports betting is legal, but only for residents.
- Vermont: Green Mountain State – sports betting is legal, but only for residents.
- Virginia: The Commonwealth of Virginia – sports betting is legal, but only for residents.
- Washington: The Evergreen State – sports betting is legal, but only for residents.
- West Virginia: The Mountain State – sports betting is legal, but only for residents.
- Wisconsin: The Badger State – sports betting is legal, but only for residents.
- Wyoming: The Equality State – sports betting is legal, but only for residents.
That’s a lot of restrictions, but for the best of legal opportunities, you need to look no further than Michigan. The Wolverine State is one of the first places you’ll see when searching for online sports betting. The state prides not only on its football team, but also on its hospitable nature and beautiful lakes. Those looking to place a legal wager will find a plethora of legal offers, from traditional head-to-head betting to eSports and fantasy sports.
Which Sports Can I Bet On?
Traditional sports betting in the form of American football, baseball, and basketball are currently legal in all 50 states. Some states, like New York, allow for online wagering on many different sports. However, you can only wager on the following sports in New York:
- American Football
- Winter Sports
You can check with your state’s lottery to see if a particular sport is legal in their state. For example, in Montana you can wager on the following sports:
How Do I Place A Bet?
Placing a legal wager in Michigan requires either an E-wallet or credit card. You can use your bank card at any online sportsbook, but E-wallets are the preferred method of payment. Fortunately, there are many reputable E-wallets that support the American payment system. Those looking to place a wager can use the following links to easily find a payment method that works for them.
If you have an E-wallet, you can use it to place a wager at any online sportsbook that accepts those types of payments. If you have a credit card, you can use it to place a wager at most online sportsbooks that accept credit cards. Some smaller online sportsbooks may not accept credit cards, or may only accept certain credit cards. Checking with the online sportsbook in question beforehand is advisable to ensure you are doing business with a reputable company who will accept your chosen payment method.
Which Sports Book Should I Use?
Since Michigan legalised online sports betting, the options have multiplied. The best online sportsbooks not only offer all the standard betting forms, but also provide specialised software that assists gamblers in predicting the outcome of games. You’ll also find many online sportsbooks that provide a safe and secure environment. Those looking to place a wager in the state should use a sporting website who operates within the legal framework of their home country.