When the NBA season started, people who followed sports had one main focus – to place their bets on who would win the championship. Unfortunately, the NBA has already canceled the rest of its season due to the pandemic. This year’s MLB season has also been put on hold, and the National Hockey League has suspended its entire season. There is now no sports to bet on.
This has left many sports bettors wondering which states still offer online sports betting. The good news is that several states have taken additional precautions to ensure the health of their residents and keep their sportsbooks operating. Below, we identify five states that still allow for legal betting on sports online.
Like many other states, New York has greatly restricted the types of sports activities that it allows online bookmakers to offer customers. However, the rules are a little more relaxed for residents of New York State. For instance, residents can still engage in some fantasy football and fantasy baseball, and can make wagers on the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby, and the Masters.
However, the state of New York has also decided to keep its books open for all major North American sports. This includes the NFL, MLB, and the NHL. What’s more, it also allows for online wagering on college sports such as basketball and hockey.
If you’re looking to place bets online, then New York is a good option. Thanks to the health regulations in place, it is now possible to bet on almost any sporting event.
With the suspension of the entire NBA season and the subsequent closure of many sportsbooks, many people may be looking for an alternative way to bet on sports. Fortunately, California has decided to keep its books open for business, and has even allowed for more types of bets this year. Specifically, the types of wagers that can be placed online now include:
- Over/Under bets (for example, if your school is +1.5 points under the average then you win)
- Current season (for example, if the Browns are 5-0 then you would win the Cleveland Browns vs. Arizona Cardinals game)
- Futures (for example, if the Atlanta Braves are +150 to win the World Series then you would place a bet on them being +150 to win the World Series)
- Point spreads (for example, the Golden State Warriors vs. New York Knicks game is currently +3 points)
- Total Points (for example, the Indianapolis Colts vs. Houston Texans game is currently 50-50 because it is an even matchup)
- Free Sports Betting (for example, you can place a wager on the Golden State Warriors without having to make a deposit first)
If you’re a resident of California and want to place bets online, then California is another good option. Not only does it allow for a variety of bets, but it also keeps its books open for business.
Colorado is one of the many states that allow for online sports wagering. It is one of the few states that still allow for fantasy sports, and it also allows for a variety of prop bets. For example, if John Cena is +300 to win the World Wrestling Championship then you would win $100. However, the types of wagers that can be placed online in Colorado are fairly limited. This is mainly due to the fact that the state wants to keep a good relationship with the sports teams that it hosts. For instance, if the Rockies were to win the World Series then the state would lose a large sum of money.
What’s more, Colorado also wants to keep its sportsbooks operational, so it has placed a limit on the types of bets that can be placed online. Some of the bets that are prohibited include:
- Total Goals (if the Avalanche beat the Stars 3-2 then you would win $100 because they have 23 goals on the board, while the Stars have 21)
- Current Season (you cannot bet on current sporting events such as the Super Bowl or the NBA season)
- Futures (you cannot bet on the results of future sporting events)
- Over/Under bets (most states only permit over/under bets on basketball)
- Point spreads (you cannot bet on point spreads, only on full-blown matchups)
- If it’s tied then nobody wins (you cannot place a wager if the score is tied)
- If a game is postponed or canceled then you cannot bet on it (for example, if the NBA season was to be postponed then you cannot wager on that game)
If you’re a resident of Colorado and want to try your hand at online sports betting, then Colorado is yet another good option. Not only does it allow for a variety of bets, but it also keeps its books open for business.
Back in March, Louisiana became the third state to allow for online sports betting. Since then, it has seen a boom in sports betting activity. According to state regulators, the number of active registered accounts has increased by more than 200% as of April 2020. This is mainly because Louisiana offers a safe and secure way for residents to engage in wagering activities. Specifically, the types of bets that can be placed online in Louisiana include:
- Over/Under bets (regular and combined)
- Point spreads (regular and combined)
- Futures (combined)
- Total Points (regular and combined)
- If it’s a push then you win (regardless of the score)
- Free Sports Betting (regardless of the score)
If you’re a resident of Louisiana and want to place bets online, then you have plenty of options. Not only does it allow for a variety of bets, but it also keeps its books open for business, which is important for those who want to try their hand at oddsmaking.
Maine has also decided to keep its books open for business and has expanded the types of bets that can be made online. Specifically, it has decided to expand the types of wagers that can be placed on fantasy sports and has opened its books to residents of Oregon, Washington, and Alaska. This is great news for residents of Maine, because it means they can now bet on the games that they love without having to go elsewhere to do so.
Maine’s decision to keep its books open came only a few days after it became the fourth state to legalize sports betting. This followed the lead of West Virginia, which had decided to allow for online wagering back in January.
If you’re a resident of Maine and want to try your hand at online sports betting, then you have several options. Not only does it allow for a variety of bets, but it also keeps its books open for business.
Idaho is yet another state that has decided to keep its books open for business. This means that residents can still place bets on sports events such as the Super Bowl, the NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship, and the National Hockey League’s postseason. At least, they can as long as the NHL returns to play once the pandemic subsides.
There is also some good news for potential bettors from Idaho. This is because the state has partnered with various bookmakers to form a new alliance. This partnership allows for customers to place bets from the comfort of their home. Furthermore, residents of Idaho can now play fantasy sports, as long as they adhere to the rules put in place by the state.
If you’re a resident of Idaho and want to place bets online, then you can certainly do so. Not only does it allow for a variety of bets, but it also keeps its books open for business.
Based on the information available, it seems that plenty of states have decided to keep their books open for business. At least, these are the five that we were able to find. Hopefully, this article will shed some light on what many people are doing to try and bet on their favorite sporting events during these challenging times.